Have you ever used a Firestick? If yes, then you probably know all about how it works. For those who’re new to it, this guide is for you. Before we move on with why you need a VPN for a jailbroken Firestick, let’s first talk about what Firestick is and why we jailbreak it.
What is a Firestick? Why do we jailbreak it?
In short, a Firestick is one of the best and most advanced streaming devices in the industry, where you can download the best streaming and gaming apps straight from the Amazon App Store.
However, there are circumstances when the app we want isn’t readily available on the Store and to access them we’re going to need to download them from unknown sources. That’s where jailbreaking comes in. When you jailbreak your Firestick, you’ll be able to download third-party APK files through a method called sideloading to access the services that aren’t available on the Amazon Store.
Why do we need a VPN to jailbreak Firestick?
Jailbreaking in general means accessing or sideloading third-party apps. In some countries around the world that’s considered as illegal mainly because a few of these apps harbor content that violates copyright laws.
Using a VPN with jailbroken Firestick will help protect you online from ISP monitoring or government surveillance. Plus, your speeds will improve – bypassing ISP throttling. The VPN you choose doesn’t even need to cost a fortune. There are many top providers that offer the cheapest VPN service for your Firestick and multiple supported devices.
How do we jailbreak a Firestick?
Kodi is one of the most popular third-party apps. So, I’ll be showing you how to download that in this short tutorial. Here’s how to start:
- Subscribe or connect to a reliable VPN that’s offering the best VPN discounts, just in case you’re on a budget.
- Install and connect to the best server, encrypting your traffic.
- On your Firestick, click on “My Fire TV” on your home screen.
- Now, you’ll see “Developer options,” click on it and then turn on the “Apps from Unknown Sources.”
- On your home screen type “Downloader” in the search bar.
- Download and install the app and then click on “Open.”
- Open the Downloader app
- Type in the APK link to the Kodi app or any app that you require in the URL path. Since you’re looking for the Kodi app, type in https://kodi.tv/download, and click on the 32-bit version.
- The app will start downloading.
- Click on “Install” after you’re prompted by a few on screen instructions.
- You’ll see the notification of “App installed” once the installation is complete.
- That’s all!
In general, besides securing your activities and data on your Firestick, there’s a lot more that a VPN offers. You’ll be able to access numerous streaming services from anywhere in the world; even within surveillanced regions. It’ll stop your internet service provider from throttling your speeds and bandwidth, and save you from your ISP or the government from logging your data. Other than that, a VPN comes in handy when you’re connected to a harmful or unknown WiFi source.